. grace presbyterian church
1009 15 Avenue SW
Grace Presbyterian Church was built in 1912 - 1913, replacing the 1905 wood frame church which was too small for the congregation. The Pastor and Clerk of the Session travelled the principal cities of Canada in 1911 to inspect churches and search for an architect. The plans of Smith and Gemmell (James Smith and John Gemmell) of Toronto were accepted, and the church opened in 1913.
The Church is an excellent example of the Gothic Revival style, displaying the 'solid simplicity' sought by the Presbyterian Church. The gabled entrance facade features large decorated windows over three arched openings. The auditorium accommodated 1200 persons in seats arranged in circular fashion and a gallery. The high vaulted ceiling has unfortunately been somewhat obscured by the addition of acoustic tile. To the right the entrance rises the tall square Gunn Memorial Tower, dedicated to the memory of Dr. J.W. Gunn. The Kinght Memorial Bell was installed in the tower a year later. Reguar radio broadcasts of Sunday morning services were begun in 1923 and continued for a number of years.
In 1925, the congregation voted no to join the United Church of Canada, and it remains a Presbyterian Church. The Memorial Chapel was biult and dedicated in 1962. It's furnishings include wood from churches across Canada and throughout the world, and a fine stained glass window by Janet Middleton. (1982)
Grace Presbyterian was presented with a community heritage plaque by The City of Calgary's Heritage Advisory Board in 1997. The plaque is located directly adjacent to the front main entrance.
. to offer comments, corrections, or improvements to this article, email us at: email@example.com